The Parkway Center has joined the United States of America Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War as a Commemorative Partner. By presidential proclamation on May 25, 2012 the Commemoration extends from Memorial Day 2012 through Veterans Day 2025. Congress articulated five objectives for this Commemoration:
- To thank and honor veterans of the Vietnam War, including personnel who were held as prisoners of war, or listed as missing in action, for their service and sacrifice on behalf of the United States and to thank and honor the families of these veterans.
- To highlight the service of the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War, and the contributions of federal agencies and governmental and non-governmental organization that served with, or in support of, the Armed Forces.
- To pay tribute to the contributions made on the home front by the people of the United States during the Vietnam War.
- To highlight the advances in technology, science, and medicine related to military research conducted during the Vietnam War.
- To recognize the contributions and sacrifices made by the allies of the United States during the Vietnam War.
According to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs, 9 million Americans served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during the period of the Vietnam War; approximately 7 million are living today. To reach these large numbers, the Commemoration has enlisted the assistance of many thousands of Commemorative Partner organizations at the local, state, and national levels to conduct hometown-centric events and activities that thank and honor Vietnam veterans and their families in their local communities.
In order to thank and honor those that served during the Vietnam War Era, the Parkway Center as a commemorative partner, has been hosting pinning ceremonies to present the Vietnam Veteran Lapel Pins. These pins were created specifically for this commemoration and those that are not given out by 2025 will be destroyed. These pinning ceremonies are special events that allow us to present these pins to living Vietnam Era Veterans. If you would like to receive a pin or would like to host a pinning ceremony at your location, please contact Candy Curry at the Parkway Center at (315) 223-3973.
For more information on events please visit http://www.vietnamwar50th.com/events/.